Saturday, August 9, 2008

It starts to come together

Well, now having the lead screw in and standing around waiting for the top plate paint to dry, I looked for something to do to amuse myself. Thinking about who I ground the rails at 60 deg, I decided that I should go ahead and go with the plan to allow the grinder head to rotate. While I have the plate mounting on a 1/2 bolt aleady, I decided to make a "stiffer" way to set and lock an angle. I decided to use a curved slot to allow a second bold to lock the plate tighter than using just one center bolt. Cutting the slot however would be a challenge.

After checking the large angle plate, I found I could do the whole thing on the lathe. Using an angle plate I already have fixed to a T slot cross slide on the lathe, I drilled a seriers of holes in an arc about the center bolt. This was easy, as the center bolt acted as the pivot point. I increased the hole sises until the holes ran into each other, and then made the final hole sizes at 1/2". I then switched to a 1/2" end mill and removed the webbing between the holes with plung cuts. Once most of the material was out, I left the end mill in the hole at one end, and rotated the bracked right through all the holes, leaving a nice clean slot.

As the day was nearing an end, I decided to clean up the plate and spay paint it as well. While I waited between coats, I found another bit to work on. I had bought a 4" round magnetic chuck a while back on Ebay to posibly use on my drill press. Well, I figured it would be a great peice for the grinder, all I had to do was make a plate so I could bolt it to the T slot cross slide. After checking out the mounting (1 hole dead center of the bottom, already threaded), I simply cut a 1/2 plate to 6" x 3" (had some 3" x 1/2 flat bar). Made the center hole and countersunk it for a capscrew, and made a hole in each end for the T bolts.


No comments: